Forget January Detoxes, at CC it's birthday month. And this year it was a big one: a particularly special 30th. And since I can't get enough of nut brittle at the moment (the almond variety eaten straight. . .crushed onto quince pavlova in its hazlenut form. . .), I decided to make this:
It went down a treat. And since brittle is so ridiculously easy (but seems nicely impressive), here's my failsafe, no-recipe masterclass:
1. Always take equal amounts of nuts and sugar.
2. Toast the nuts separately. 5 mins @ 180c should do it - this way you can control both the caramel and the nut-toasting most easily.
3. Heat the sugar over a high heat but do not let it boil until all the sugar has dissolved.
4. When the sugar is a deep caramel, but a touch before it is dark enough, quickly stir in the toasted nuts.
5. After a couple more seconds, when the caramel is the rich hue you want, tip the whole lot onto silpat (a silicone sheet) or parchment. Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool.